Pages

A collection of notes taken by Baha’is who were in the presence of Baha'u'llah, or ‘Abdu’l-Baha or Shoghi Effendi

June 25, 2017

‘Abdu’l-Baha choosing Shoghi Effendi as His Successor

Baha'u'llah, the Great Perfection - blessed be His words - in the past, the present and forever - chose this insignificant one to be His successor, not because I was the first born, but because His inner eye had already discerned on my brow the seal of God. Before His ascension into eternal Light the blessed Manifestation reminded me that I too irrespective of primogeniture or age - must observe among my sons and grandsons whom God would indicate for His office. My sons passed to eternity in their tenderest years, in my line, among my relatives, only little Shoghi has the shadow of a great calling in the depths of his eyes.  
- ‘Abdu’l-Baha  (Quoted to have told a German woman doctor, named Dr. J. Fallscheer, who lived in Haifa in the days of the Master and occasionally attended the ladies of His household; included by the Universal House of Justice in a letter dated December 23, 1974 to the Hands of the Cause of God and the Continental Board of Counsellors; printed in ‘The Power of Covenant, Part Two’, by the NSA of Canada)